Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saturday Harvest!

I love Saturdays. I feel a freedom from work obligations that allows me to enjoy, without guilt, the bounty of my garden, reading to my children, taking a leisurely walk, and my special reading time. My husband is fishing in the Gulf so today won't be as free as other Saturdays, but the Saturday sense of calm reigns. There are no phones ringing and no deadlines.

I get to celebrate the contents of my garden basket - loads of tomatoes, one Italian zucchini so flavorful you forget all of the bad zucchini jokes, and the first two pickling cucumbers. Obviously, I have had a personal relationship with the water hose since our weather has not aided in this bounty.

I get to enjoy the zinnias I picked while they were still fresh. I took a walk in the cool of the morning, making tracks in the grass my feet and pants legs soaked from the heavy dew. I got to hear the waking bird songs and watch the sun peep over the hill. I snuggled and read to the children, then made biscuits for breakfast.

This afternoon I will read to myself and rest - and I won't feel guilty at all. Saturdays are a much needed respite in my frantic week - a much needed harvest of time to be my best self.

8 comments:

Summer said...

Mmmm, those tomatos look good.

Becky said...

a much needed harvest of time to be my best self.

I like how you put this :). Especially nice in connection with the One-Sixteenth post on introverts hs'ing...

My Sundays are like this and I treasure them.

Wisteria said...

They look great, but they also look like work. Romas are best in sauce and someone has to make it and can it. I will start tomorrow.

Wisteria said...

I had never read One-Sixteenth. I hopped over there. She is right. You do need a bit of time every single day to maintain sanity.

Enjoy your Sunday!

mull-berry said...

The pink/orange flower is outstanding!

westwind said...

Oh my, look at those tomatoes! How do you get them so early?! Mine are still a long way from the harvest basket!

Wisteria said...

The pink orange ones are my favorites, too! I get about one of those a week. I've gotten a few orange and yellow, but this is a pink year!

Wisteria said...

This is Mississippi! I got to start earlier than you and while you are still eating wonderful fresh produce in August and September, I will be looking at dry, heat burned stubs of plants. July is our big harvest month - and tomatoes grow particularly well here.