Monday, July 31, 2006

It's Raining!

We are getting rain - a real rain that has lasted for more than two hours. No, two hours of rain will not get us anywhere close to our average rainfall nor will it bring my toasty garden back to life, but at this point I will take what I get. The slight cool breeze wafting through the dog trot, the gentle rhythms tapping on the tin roof, and the light scent of rain and damp earth are heavenly. I want nothing more than to sit on the porch and fully experience the slow rain. May I declare a holiday from all activity for rain?

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You may, you can, you should! I am so happy for you! We've got humid heat and no end in sight :-)

mull-berry said...

Enjoy your rain ... the paper published this map the other day:

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

we are "abnormally dry" looks like you are much worse.

Could you drill a well to help with watering? I bet the groundwater isn't too deep. Just a thought.

Wisteria said...

I know the steam room will be turned on later, but I don't want to think about it, yet! I just want to enjoy the cool, damp 70 we have right now.

Wisteria said...

Our town water comes from wells and it is cheap and somewhat guilt-free. A lot of people still use well water here.

Mull-berry, you may be worse. OK has a huge red blotch on it. Is that where you are? I'm in the rust, not the red, but standing in my garden it is hard to tell.

mull-berry said...

We are in the NE corner which is yellow. The drought lines pretty much follow the terrain ... as you head east from OKC (middle) the drought lessens as you reach the foothills of the Ozarks. Our part of OK is dubbed "green country." That's probably more than you care to know! : )

Wisteria said...

No, not too much information. I like to visualize my friends in their surroundings.

Becky said...

Hurray!

We've had some nice rains in the past week. I love the enforced holiday that rain in summer on the farm brings :)