Monday, August 14, 2006

Spiders

Today, one of my natural insect control bit the wrong thing. I had to send The Pink Panther for a break while helping Princess with a troubling bit of school. He went out and started playing in a pile of ancient bricks we have been saving for a project. He was bitten by a poisonous spider. We assume it was a black widow, but he didn't see it and we can't find it.

I called him back to school. He came in and started complaining about his arm hurting. I looked and saw what looked like a wasp sting only larger with two marks. I got the beef tenderizer out and made a paste and applied it. I still didn't realize it was a spider. He, then, started saying he didn't feel well. He was light headed and nauseated. I started to realize what was going on and went for the Benydrl. By the time I got back with it his small spot was a blister. I spooned in a mega serving of Benydrl and went for the phone.

By the time I had warned the doctor we were on our way, Pink Panther was feeling better. It's a long way to the doctor, so regardless of how he was feeling at that moment we were going. We drove an hour and fifteen minutes. Our wonderful older doctor said that this was the first real spider bite he had seen. He said many people walk in with a suspected bite, but none were the real McCoy. He also said that unless Pink Panther had a life threatening reaction, which he has not, the anti-venom is too dangerous since it is a product using horse antibodies. He also said that no one dies of spider bites unless there are other extenuating circumstances.

The Pink Panther has an amazing immune system. He reacts to little. Now that the sun has gone down and the doctor is miles away, his stomach is cramping and his arm is stiffening. I am just a little nervous even though the doctor assured us that if a serious reaction was going to occur it would have started. Stomach cramping and the wilting skin is scary enough.

9 comments:

Henry Cate said...

I hope he gets better and sleeps well through the night.

Frankie said...

Oh gosh, how scary! Keep us posted, please. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers (yes, I do pray.)

Wisteria said...

Krisann, What a pile of information! Thanks.
Henry and Frankie, Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! He seems fine this morning. His arm still looks tender. We will keep and eye on it and run for doctor if anything changes.

Angela said...

Oh my! That is very frightening! It is very scary how something so small can cause so much damage. I will be praying for you all. Waiting for the note that he is jumping off the walls again!

Jennifer said...

Oh, sweet Jesus! And thank goodness you updated that the Panther is doing okay so far. I know you'll keep an eye on it. You are so strong in your resolve to co-exist peacefully and non-toxically with nature. (I'd probably be evacuating the area and poisoning everything in sight.)

Keeping a good thought for the boy.

Anonymous said...

Wisteria, my word. Scary. Glad your son is better today.

mull-berry said...

Glad that the PP is okay ... what a fright!

hornblower said...

holy cow - keep us updated. Hope he heals quickly.

Wisteria said...

Thanks, again, everyone!!