Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Frankie's Movie

I have watched Frankie's favorite movie, and it is, indeed, worthy of multiple viewing. The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio makes me want to be a better mother. Evelyn, played by Julianne Moore, finds hope, laughter, and self gratification in her less than optimal circumstances. My life situation is so much better and I find that I, frequently, complain, lose my temper, and don't look for the positive as much as I should. Watching her swirl through all adversity made me feel a bit inept, though motivated.

Though I have always been fascinated with stereotypical roles for women and men, I have to say that I cringed every time Evelyn had the courage to ask for outside help from establishments (police, church, and bank) and was politely refused. Even so, she was able to do what she could to nurture herself, her husband, and her children.

What a wonderful movie to be able to combine the feel good of a success story and the questioning of an editorial about the plight of women with children. I felt both elated and torn, happy and sad, and motivated and angry. Watch it!

2 comments:

Frankie said...

I am so glad you liked it! The book is great, too. (One of the few times where I like the book and movie equally.)

I have had a difficult time describing why I like this movie so much, but you nailed it down for me in your sentence: It makes me want to be a better mother. It also makes me want to be a better person.

I finally broke down and ordered this from Amazon. I think I should buy myself a 1950s dress and then I could act the movie out like people do with Rocky Horror! lol

Angela said...

I am still waiting for this to come from Netflix...as no where local stocks it. I also found that no where local stocks "Howard's End", "Age of Innocence," or a slew of others I have been wanting to enjoy. Living in the city certainly does not guarantee the masses have any desire for culture!