Thursday, June 29, 2006

Morning Corn

This morning at chicken release (5:30 a.m.) my husband picked corn while I readied the kitchen for processing. After the corn was picked, I woke my children and they assembled at the fence to help shuck and silk. They stood at the fence so the cows could eat the leftovers. I began blanching and cutting. At 7:30 my husband left for work and the children finished the shucking. Before 9:00 all corn was cut from the cob and safely in the freezer for a winter treat. I lost count, but I think we processed about 200 ears.

I like when we work together on a task. It doesn't happen as often as I would like. My husband works off the farm and so we split the jobs that need to be done here and frequently don't get to spend time with each other when we are farming. This morning, there was much silly singing, karate chopping and tossing of corn. A great time was had by all.

When we were finished the children fried some bacon and scrambled some eggs for us and we talked about the few worms in the corn, how the scout bees thought the shucked corn was something to pollinate, how quickly we got finished, and how many bags were put in the freezer. Productivity feels good, especially if you get to share it with your family.

No comments: