Thursday, June 08, 2006

Blogger has been down so long ....

I forgot what I wanted to say. I leave you with these two farm images. Today, the first zinnia fully bloomed. I have been secretly watering these plants. I love to have them on my fence row and in my house and I just couldn't bare to watch them wilt. I am rewarded today with this beautiful orange bloom. Tomorrow, a pink, purple, and yellow will burst open. Today, there is nothing to compete. These will bloom all summer and into the fall if . . . I keep watering them. We are so unusually dry. I wouldn't complain if this were August or the first of September, but this is the first week of June and we should have to guess when we should cut the hay. As it is, there will be no hay. The hay field is dry and the clover is fading.

Yesterday, we shipped our hormone free, anti-biotic free, grass and corn fed calves to Laura's Lean Beef. I am proud to be part of their "family." They are so nice to the people and the animals. The company and Laura embrace sustainability and they don't allow the calves to "stress out" at shipping. If you need another reason to eat Laura's Lean - Laura blogs.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love zinnias, and I hope it rains. It stinks to have cattle but no hay. I've been there, I've done that, and none of us wants to go there again. Wishing you raindrops and a rainbow of zinnias...

Wisteria said...

Your positive thoughts worked. Late yesterday afternoon we had a short thunderstorm. There was only enough rain to wash the dust off the plants, but it lifted my spirits. Today, I will drag the water hoses out to water what is left of my garden, the fruit trees, and the zinnias. Maybe, there will be rain next week.