Saturday, June 03, 2006

Blueberry Muffins

This morning I made blueberry muffins thanks to a wonderful recently retired man in town. Blueberry muffins and pancakes are two of my children's favorite breakfast foods. We had eaten every blueberry in the freezer and would have to wait for another few weeks for fresh blueberries here, until this wonderful man cleaned out his freezer in preparation for this year's crop. He had offered quart packages to several people at work and they never took them home. He gave me everyone's present -- about two gallons total. So this morning, we had muffins.

Here is the recipe I use. I know I should credit someone with the recipe, but I didn't record where I got it. I have modified it a good bit over the years, so perhaps I should get credit!?
Blueberry Muffins

1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted
1 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tsp Lemon juice
2 lg Eggs
2 cup Flour, White, Unbleached
3/4 cup Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
1 1/3 cup Blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. Line muffin cups. Combine first four ingredients in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts. Cool until mixture is warm to touch. Beat in eggs. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Add milk mixture and stir until blended. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter among cups. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.


This makes about 12 large muffins. I usually go ahead and double the recipe so there are muffins for snacks and another day's breakfast.

1 comment:

westwind said...

mmm, cant wait to try making some, thanks for the recipe!