Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More Rain and Skunks!

I awoke this morning to yet more rain and the lovely perfume of skunk. Obviously, the yellow dog and a skunk weren't getting along. We have a good many skunks here. In fact, during this time of the year I rarely make the 2 mile trip into town without seeing a dead skunk in the middle of the road. All the scared country folks have killed almost all of the bobcats in our area and now we get to smell skunk first thing in the morning because nothing else wants to eat that pesky varmint(My theories only). I really don't mind skunks since they eat mice, voles, grubs and insects, but I don't really want them under the porch or next to my chicken coop.

I know I will want this rain later in the season, but now I would like to plant a few more plants and seeds in my garden and I can't get out there because of standing water. We had storms Saturday night, yesterday, and again this morning. This is completely normal weather for Mississippi, but I don't have to like it. As it is, I will be so late with my black-eyed peas that I will have to pick them in the over 100 degree days. I wanted to be finished with row vegetables before then.

Maybe the house will get cleaned if it keeps raining.

No comments: