Monday, May 22, 2006

The Mississippi Delta

I'm leaving shortly to travel to the Mississippi Delta to visit my completely cool MIL. The children and I will spend the night with her and then go to the McCarty Pottery place in Merigold, MS. The McCarty's are celebrating 50 years in the business this year (or was it last year). Their gardens are beautiful now (May) and I love to buy wedding gifts when the gardens are in their prime.

I absolutely adore the McCarty pottery tradition. These people have lived simply, made beautiful pottery, and created a full life doing the things that make them happy. The pottery is made out of Mississippi clay and each piece has a Mississippi River somewhere on it. Most of the pieces are useful (bowls, vases, platters) and can be used in the oven. What's not to love -- beauty and utility thrown together in perfection.

I'll take pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give my best to the Delta. I drove through before my son was born, and had lunch at Lusco's for old times' sake. (Growing up, I had several friends & a couple of relatives in the Delta.) So beautiful up there.

I forgot to ask you, Wisteria, how was Miss Welty's house? Did you go when it opened?

Angela said...

Enjoy your trip, and please post photos! I have a weekness for handmade pottery...

Wisteria said...

I haven't been to the Welty House yet. We have been out of town and finishing ballet, scouts, school, and just haven't had time. The children and I plan to go next week and I will report. I'm sure the gardens will be pretty at the Welty House in a few years. I think they had to tear much of the old away. Growing things does not take long here.