Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring Reading Challenge

I had so much fun during the Winter Reading Challenge that I am signing on for the Spring Challenge. Who will join me?

For Spring, I will concentrate on reading the novels of Richard Powers. Now that I found Richard Powers because Zilla suggested The Echo Maker, I feel I need to investigate further. I am weird like that. I will also read The Secret Life of Bees because Jove recommended it and I am a beekeeper. I'm going to the beach so I will read something light like a Mary Kaye Andrews novel.

Here is my planned list, so far.
Gain - Richard Powers
The Time of Our Singing - Richard Powers
Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance - Richard Powers
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Savannah Breeze - Mary Kaye Andrews

My list is short because Spring is my busiest time. With garden, bees, school, and farm, I shouldn't even lift a book, but . . .

3 comments:

zilla said...

Do you have Gain? I could send it, and the others, plus Gold Bug Variations (if you like music and concepts of genetics, you will LOVE this one, and it will make you CRY! I believe it is his best work to date.)

I started with his Pygmalion story, Galatea 2.0, and then started at the beginning and read his novels in order. The only Powers novel I couldn't get through was a rather bleak one, Plowing the Dark, about a pediatrician treating near hopelessly ill children, if I recall correctly. I should make another attempt.

The Secret Life of Bees sounds so intriguing already that I know I'm going to have to pick it up.

I'm still working on finishing The Audacity of Hope, which I started in Costa Rica. I'm almost finished, but I don't plow through to the end because I promised myself that when I'm done I'll start reading the writings of the other democrat hopefuls, and then see what I can find written by the republicans. Of course another part of the problem is that I prefer fiction to politics -- fiction, unlike politics, is never dishonest. Or at least it's honestly dishonest.

Or something.

:-)

wisteria said...

I have Gain. I bought it the week I finished The Echo Maker, but I don't have any of the others and would love to borrow.

I'm glad to know I am not the only one who feels the need to complete the cycle, so to speak.

How is The Audacity of Hope? Is it well-written? That is another book I need to read, but I find that my love for fiction over rules my need for political stumping. I still have a little time.

I agree with you about the honesty of fiction.

JoVE said...

It wasn't just because of the beekeeping though that is an important part. It is also because of the politics of race (which I know interests you; it is set in South Carolina in 1964) and because there is some great stuff about relationships between women. Prepare for tears though.

Fiction is absolutely honest. Truth and facts are not the same thing.