Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I wasn't going to share this lovely bit of farm life

But, I suppose you deserve the chuckle.

Sunday afternoon both the children wanted to ride horses. I consented to saddle and "warm up" Dusty, the aging, yet strong-willed horse. The horse in question has not been ridden in a long while because the children stopped trusting him. The horse turned out to be a bit too contrary for the children, but we were attached so kept him and make allowances.

We walked out to the barn and the horse followed. Once he realized we were getting the riding gear ready and not just feeding him, he tried to leave. I captured him before he high tailed it to the pasture and started saddling. He wasn't happy, but endured.

Once the saddle and bridle were on, I lifted my leg as high as I could and still couldn't get my foot into the stirrup. Before you think I am totally worthless, let me assure you that the saddle is adjusted for the children so the stirrups are way up there. Whatever the reason, I still needed a bucket so told Princess to bring it over. As I put my weight on the stirrup, the saddle slipped just a little to the side and Dusty went nuts. He kicked the bucket, so went even wilder. The children dropped the reins they were supposed to be holding and rushed to get out of the way. I hung on for dear life until the horse bucked enough to realize I wasn't leaving and stood still. Screeching, I told the children that holding the reins meant securing the horse even if he bucked.

The horse walked quietly to the pasture, but every time I asked him to do anything - turn, trot, lope - he kicked up his back legs. The more I asked, the more he bucked. I don't give up. If some test of will arises, I clamp on like a snapping turtle. After I was bounced, shaken, and bumped for thirty minutes, the horse realized he couldn't throw me off and I wouldn't give in, so let me and the children ride in the manner he had been trained. A lovely time was had by all.

If picturing me bouncing around on a strong-willed bucking horse doesn't have you smiling, then think about me today - so stiff in the legs that I cannot walk without grimacing and so stiff in the upper arms just thinking of lifting them makes me cringe. I feel parts of me that I had forgotten I owned. I bend to get something from the floor and question whether I can return to standing. I vow to get into better shape every time I put one foot in front of the other.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wisteria, you'll be ready for the Dixie National next February! Thanks for making me smile. Get some Ben-Gay.

mull-berry said...

I laughed out loud at "kicked the bucket" ... I knew what was coming! Glad your typing fingers aren't sore! Lol!

Jennifer said...

"Snapping turtle," that's you in a nutshell. Or in a turtle shell. What a day! Thanks for the laughs, and for being able to laugh at yourself along with us!

Wisteria said...

Funny thing! One of this horse's selling points was that he knew one of the trails leading to the Dixie National. The man said, "Even if you get so drunk you lose track of your trail group, the horse will get you to camp. If you fall off, he will wait."

We haven't needed these services, but if I make to the Dixie National, I can be assured that the horse knows his way. Seriously, don't buy a program. You won't see me there.

Zilla, I am worse than the wind personality you lamented.

Angela said...

This did have me laughing , in a commiserating sort of way. Been there, done that. A contrary horse is no fun at all! At least you held on!!

Anonymous said...

In the past, I've had a few warm up buckers.

One in particular never warmed up. My dad tells me "take him down to the river, wade him in belly deep and get on him, he can't buck in the water. Supposedly, this is some kind of native wisdom thing.

Okay, after getting him in the water (a horse that isn't crazy about being ridden isn't crazy about going belly deep in water either), I got on. It's a big fat myth that horses can't buck in the water. They can, they do, and watch out for rocks on the way down.

Wisteria said...

You take the stream, Doc, and I will keep my pasture. My brother and some of his friends took a hunting trip on horses. One of his friends had a mishap in one of those stone filled streams and had to be carried out of the wilderness on lashed limbs.

I could lunge the horse (he doesn't like that any better), but that wouldn't be as much fun as the bucking horse ride.

Anonymous said...

This was so good I have had to come back a couple of times to read and laugh. As you know I was the "drop the reins" and run type...so memories of other horse, cow, goat, rabbit, racoon, etc. encounters came flooding back.