Friday, September 22, 2006

Early Arrival

Look at our new arrival. Our cows aren't supposed to be calving yet (we plan for November and December), but with our fencing situation what it was we will not have as organized a season as we would like.

We were lucky to find this little calf immediately after he was born. The mother had just started cleaning him with that huge sandpaper tongue. I am always astounded that the calves have any hair left when the mama is through.

The mama nudged and nudged and finally the baby tried to stand. It took him four attempts before his wobbly little legs would hold him. Even so, only fifteen minutes had elapsed since birth. Charolais don't usually have small calves, in fact, having calves too large is frequently a problem with first time Charolais mamas. This is not a first time mama and this was not a small calf. I would guess he weighs 90 pounds or maybe more.

After this calf teetered for a few minutes he started looking for sustenance. Unfortunately, he was looking in the wrong place. His mama kept nudging him to the rear, but he kept coming back to the front. We laughed and laughed. Finally, he figured it out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet!

Frankie said...

Too cute! I think we need to take a field trip to your place!

Wisteria said...

Come on Down! I would love to meet you!

Angela said...

That is so awesome...makes this city girl a little green with envy! But then, I remember all the hard work that goes along with having a farm..and I am happy to enjoy it vicariously through you!

matermuse said...

Cows! My favorite domestic creatures! Your great photos of the blessed event have put me in mind of my grandparents' dairy farm. People sometimes look askance at me when I tell them that cows have sweet breath from their grain and grass diets, but you've just given me a smellomemory of quiet secure days when all I was responsible for was helping out with the afternoon dairy chores.

Wisteria said...

I'm glad I could provide a flashback. Farm life is a lot of work, but has some very special rewards.

We had another calf this weekend. I wonder if that bull took care of the entire herd in that one day of free roaming.

Anonymous said...

Do Charolais ever have horns? I took this picture in Vermont wondering if they are the same kind of cow you raise down south. (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=262371786&size=l)

Wisteria said...

Yes! Charolais can have horns. Your pictures are so beautiful!