Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Speed of Light

Over the Easter weekend, I devoured The Speed of Light by Elizabeth Rosner. This is not a new book, but new to me. My mother recommended it and I thought I might have some down time on our trip. Once I read the first few pages, I created down time. I, literally, could not drag myself from the story. Beautifully written, The Speed of Light grapples with the repercussions of Nazi concentration camps on the lives of children of survivors. Living with a father twisted with the grief of silent memories, Julian and Paula create coping mechanisms. After the death of the father, the siblings have to face the atrocities of the father's memories to create a healing for themselves. With the assistance of Sola, a housekeeper with lurking shadows of her own, they find strength to face that truth.

I finished reading Monday morning and I have not, yet, been able to leave the images and language of the book.

No comments: