Saturday, April 08, 2006

Let's Go Fly A Kite!!

Today, after the storms passed this morning, was a wonderful day to fly a kite. My friend from California sent my children these backpack kites. They have no rods so can be stuffed into a sack to fly when ever the mood strikes. We do much kite flying when we are at the beach (We have sharks, turtles, my dad has a Peter Pan type pirate ship and my Dad salvages any kites left by tourists), but these kites are fabulous for the car and for a day when the winds are not howling. The kids fly them if there is even a breeze. Today was perfect. I could just hear the "Let's go Fly a Kite" song from Mary Poppins singing in the breeze. So, The Yellow Dog, my son, my daughter, and I flew kites. We had the two backpack kites going at the same time - until disaster stuck. My son got his kite caught in a pecan tree. I cannot imagine why he would fly so close to those trees, but he did!

What would any self respecting "wannabe" redneck do if a kite gets stuck in a tree? Just blast a limb from the tree to free the kite. Should I be proud? I am having a difficult time believing the images I caught with my camera. Is this the same man who was a currency options trader on the floor of the CME just 10 years ago? Before the children, before the country, before the gun (O.K. he has always hunted but in a more genteel manner) he would never have attempted such a feat of aim. Today, it just seemed natural.

I am still laughing!! How better to spend such a wonderful, breezy day than flying a kite!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Ok, that sure is a novel approach to getting a kite from a tree! I'm dying to know-Did it work?

Inspector said...

This website has been awarded Website of the Month on www.webofthemonth.blogspot.com
there is no award and please look at our website and look at the topic. This comment will be posted on every post on this page.
Thank You,
Inspector

mull-berry said...

That great! I remember my dad using a gun to shoot mistletoe out of a tree along side a country road. I can't remember if we got any or not!

wisteria said...

My husband would love for me to say that the kite is down unharmed, but, alas, I cannot tell a lie. After six shots, I couldn't stand all the banging. So we called off the target practice.