Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My Friend

This Red Bellied Woodpecker has been visiting my garden fence this winter. I hope that doesn't mean my fence is infested with tasty insects because I need that fence to keep the chickens from taking tasty morsels from my tomatoes.

I have been trying to get a good picture for weeks. I am either too loud getting out of the backdoor with all the dogs, cats, and chickens following me, watch the bird and forget to snap the picture, or get so excited about getting the picture that I fall down the back steps or over the cat bowl. So, this is it. I give up.

I know this photo is not great. If you want to see an in focus close-up go here and scroll down. There should be two.

They are truly remarkable birds.

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

We've not seen our red-bellied yet this year but she's a treat to watch when she does come up!

And that's a lovely picture considering how shy they can be.