Monday, August 06, 2007

The Mad Dash

When summer started, I had a list of things I wanted to do when our life was not so scheduled. Things like truly scrubbing the floors, organizing my books, making shades for a couple of rooms, reducing clutter, and . . .

We will start school one week from today and activities will begin the week of the 20th. I have not done even one thing on that list. Okay, maybe I've done one thing, but I haven't even completely deschooled the kitchen from last year's session. I've mentioned on more than one occasion that procrastinating is one of my bad habits, but this is ridiculous.

So, this week I make "the list" my priority - that is priority after putting up vegetables, which are almost finished, and providing food for the family. I think the deadline will help push me forward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not like you haven't been doing anything. I have the same sort of issues. I have the materials for a roman blind for the living room that I bought 2 years ago and it still isn't made.

Personally, I think "really scrubbing the floors" is one of those jobs that looks more important than it really is. I'm assuming you wash them from time to time. So maybe there are good reasons for the procrastination.

Jennifer said...

Well, we could all photoblog our window treatment projects, if that would inspire a little motivation. I remember the curtains you made last year -- the colorful curtains for ... was it the office? The library? They were beautiful, and FUN!

I'm stalled on window treatments, too. Here is my issue (because everyone needs to know this): neither traverse rods nor header tape is (are?) available at my old favorite fabric store, which seems to have been taken over by beading and scrap-booking supplies. And the fabric selections ... oh dear God, whatever happened to their fabric selection?!?!

Everything I've hung so far has been ready-made, or altered ready-made. I can do better than that!

(Come fabric shopping with me, please?)

Anonymous said...

I find ending in spring, right when the gardening chores start, to be a huge distraction. Again, I start before our big harvest (in late August) so I can have time. I suspect your harvest is NOW, so give yourself a reason to breathe. Maybe next year you can ask your family to chip in for a housecleaning service to come in for your birthday and get all the yucky stuff out of the way. Then you can focus on just school!