Monday, April 23, 2007

We're Expecting Rain

Since we are expecting rain tomorrow, I have spent most of the day planting the "row crops." By row crops I don't mean acres and acres of beans and peas, but I did plant rows. I planted the usual butter beans, pink-eye purple hull peas, and rattle-snake beans. But, I also planted cannellini beans, yellow wax beans, and believe it or not SOY BEANS. I don't know why I thought I needed to plant soybeans because I know I don't have time to learn to make tofu, yet I think it might be fun to try. If I never make tofu, I know that my sister likes to eat edamame like popcorn so I have one user. And, my husband said they would be good protein for the cows. And, they also fix nitrogen so they are good for the soil. Nothing is wasted if you have an extended family and a farm.

Tomato plants, eggplant plants, cucumber seed, yellow squash seeds, zucchini seeds, and patty pan squash seeds were installed. I also planted the dill and basil, the zinnias and the sunflowers. There is still much to be done, but I made a huge start today.

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

Sounds wonderful! We are still under threat of frost here, so we have very little planted.I can not wait to harvest the all the fresh veg.
Of course we only have a very small backyard garden, not a farm ;-)
Enjoy your rain. I do hope it is a
gentle and nourishing one!