Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Reward

To reward all those who are still checking to see if I'm going to write something, I will give you a recipe that falls into the category of Recipes That Make You Appear to be June Cleaver Even When You Aren't. I have lots of these. I treasure them because image is everything.

I originally harvested this recipe from Southern Living magazine about 20 years ago. After I captured it I noticed that it was in Southern Sideboards, another wonderful Junior League of Jackson cookbook, and a few other southern Junior League and Junior Auxiliary cookbooks. The name is changed, the quantities are changed, and the nut varieties are changed but the recipe is essentially the same. I don't know who published first.

This particular recipe makes a lot and that is what makes it a June Cleaver Wanna Be Recipe. Once you get these in the freezer, no one has to see the messy bowl or the effort. Just slice and bake when you or the children have friends over and everyone can smell the wonderful aroma of freshly baked cookies while wondering how it is possible for you to do all that you do and still have time to whip out cookies.

There is one caveat!!! Watch your dough closely. Since we grow our own eggs, we're not afraid of salmonella. No one is scared to eat dough, so I can't keep my self husband and children out of the dough.
Memory Book Cookies

1 ½ cup Butter -- softened
1 cup Sugar
2 cup Sugar, Brown
3 ea Egg
½ lbs Pecans -- chopped
4 ½ cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon, Ground

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add flour mixed with salt, soda, and cinnamon. Add nuts. Shape dough into long, thin rolls (about 1" in diameter). Wrap in wax paper. Store in the freezer. When needed, slice and bake at 350° F for 8 to 10 minutes.

Things to know about all my recipes. I always use unbleached flour and prefer King Arthur organic. I use only coarse salt so if you don't you may need to use a little less.

Things to know about this recipe. You may use any nut, but since I am a true Southerner I think pecans are best. You may substitute some whole wheat, especially the white whole wheat, for the plain flour, but they will notice if you go over half. That grainy texture is tough to overcome. You may use raw sugar instead of the white. I always use butter for baking because it tastes better, if you don't agree you could use some of those other products just don't say it's my recipe.

4 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

We are out of "freezer dough", so I will try yours next. M.S. got me in the habit when her magazine first started to keep a "log" in the freezer for company. I always had some for my nieces and P loves to bake at odd moments in our life, so it helps to have dough ready to go
when the mood hits.

Melora said...

Great. Now I need to buy pecans. That looks good!

Jennifer said...

Nobody really thinks Crisco & the like tastes better than butter, do they? Better a sat fat than a trans fat, I always say; if it isn't the real deal, why bother at all with the calories? :-)

Salted or unsalted butter?

These cookies sound a lot like my Grandma Esther's refrigerator cookies -- truly addictive, the perfect reward.

Of course the best reward is finding you've taken some of your valuable time to post. Given you're in the middle of your busy fall frenzy, I truly appreciate every word you take them time to share.

Just out of curiosity: do you put coarse salt in the shaker on the table? Are inland Mississippians counseled to use iodized salt, as we are in Michigan? Do you use sea salt, or kosher salt, or something else? Michigan salt tends to come from salt mines, I think. If it contains iodine, it's because iodine has been added.

Enough of that.

I have pecans!!! (We say pi-KAHNZ up here. Who says PEE-kans? I wonder...)

PS: no rhetorical questions, but don't feel pressed to reply right away; I know you're insanely busy!

Angela said...

MMMMMMMmmmmm! I am printing that on a recipe card right away. Cookie baking weather is right around the corner!