Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Do you ever wonder what they will remember?

I saw this article yesterday in the Washington Post. Though I don't feel that test scores are a real measure of knowledge or future success, I can see how cues - visual, auditory, or emotional - can effect performance. Of course, I couldn't stop there. I wonder what messages I am sending to my children. What will they remember and what things will effect them as they make their own way in life? Am I imprinting stereotypical roles on them without my knowledge?

Will they remember the bad days or good? Will they remember the mistakes or successes? Am I totally ruining them?

1 comment:

Angela said...

This is something I am frequently amazed by...what our children remember. I find it so odd the things they remember, but so telling of who they are. Both have very different perceptions on the same event as well. My hope is that their memories of me are not on my bad days...but of the everyday joy we usually have.