Thursday, June 26, 2008

More Unpaid Advertising

A few weeks ago, when searching for shampoo, I noticed these cute square packages, almost hidden on the bottom row. You guessed it, I wasn't shopping for shampoo at one of the usual venues, but at my natural foods coop. Because it isn't easy for us to recycle (I have to schlep glass and plastics 70 miles) so it doesn't always get done or it sits around cluttering my environs, I am always looking for ways to reduce my family's use of plastic.

This little bar claims to offer the approximate number of usages as a 24 oz. bottle of modern shampoo. The wrapper, which is corn based and biodegradable, declares the product:
  • free of animal testing
  • free of preservatives
  • bio-degradable
  • made with pure 100% natural oil
The maker also claims that the shampoo produces "thick, luxurious lather" and "rinses out clean and easily." There is also a money back guarantee and an old New England saw, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without".

What did I have to lose? I purchased a bar.

We love it!! In fact, I cannot imagine any reason for another plastic bottle to cross the threshold of my bathroom.

Another instance of reduction of waste being easy.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooh! Tea Tree, my scalp-tingling favorite!

I'm going to check Oryana for this, even though we have curbside recycling (the truck even runs on bio-diesel fuel!) and there's a drop-off site next to my second favorite hardware store (across from the vet's office) which I use for larger items.

Cool find!

Lacy said...

Great find. I will have to keep an eye out for it and try it myself.

Jennifer said...

Wisteria, I love this stuff!

My chronically itchy scalp is CURED!

I imagine MrZ will remain loyal to Unilever products, but I'm certainly going to offer him a shampoo when he gets home -- maybe he'll see the wisdom in switching :-)

Wisteria said...

I'm glad you love it.

I am jealous of your recycling program. I wish one thing could be easy, but then I wouldn't have found the shampoo.

Jennifer said...

The best part? Orynana is biking distance from my house. No matter what I go there for, I can always fill both paniers and the basket on the handle bars with quality goods, either from Oryana, or from the family owned and operated feed store a block away.

It's the least I can do, since I don't have the land for raising my own produce :-)

Wisteria said...

Shopping at Rainbow Whole Foods is so much easier than shopping at the regular grocery stores, because I don't have to scrutinize every label. They scrutinize before they buy, so I don't have to do it.

Garden State Kate said...

I am going to check out our local co-op for this, F.D. has a terrible time
with itchy-dry skin.
I am always looking for less plastic,
even though we have door to door recycling and our town's recycling center nearby. ;-)