Friday, May 30, 2008

Moving into the heat of summer

We move quickly from cold enough to freeze your entire garden and orchard to so warm the weeds are threatening to overtake the young plants and lettuce and English peas are failing. We have already cut the first cutting of hay. We are hoping to get at least one more, but even if we don't we'll have two years worth in storage, which is the goal each year.

I harvested the garlic this week and will begin to braid it this weekend. I may try to fashion a wreath rather than a hank. Honestly, I'm not that good at it. I never know what I'll get. Whatever it turns into, the garlic will finish the curing process hanging in the hall - looking pretty. I hope.

I'll plant more warm weather crops where I dug the garlic, the bitter lettuce, and the peas tomorrow.

And, I'll have to stick the running beans! Ugh!

No comments: