Sunday, May 06, 2007

Pink Roses

As soon as I erected my garden fence two years ago, I went over to my mother's house and clipped six little stalks of this almost white, pink rose. Someone told me that all I had to do was make the dirt nice, soft, and rich, stick the stalk in the ground, and keep it watered, but not drowned, the first year. It worked. I have enough roses to decorate my fence and plenty to clip and bring inside. Next year, maybe the whole fence will be covered!!

Granted, these aren't fancy roses, but they do seem to have a large bloom for the type. They tumble and drape while seemingly putting down roots wherever they touch the ground. Even though they seem easy enough to grow, I'm still proud of myself for taking a chance with free landscaping twigs. I like to feel that I have a green thumb and like having roses, especially these that aren't so demanding.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Lovely. Climbers?

I think I killed whatever "fancy" rose was grafted onto whatever rose it is that just won't give up in my shadier-each-year back yard. I like the wild, sprawling roses best anyway. Not so fussy, just as pretty, and just as sweet to smell :-)